Monday, May 10, 2010

The truth is stranger than fiction

You know how sometimes you are just going along  when all of a sudden, WHAM, something hits you and you just say WHAT?  That's how I felt when I was having a leisurely Mother's Day morning reading the paper and I came to this:  "City Administrator (Grosse Point Woods), Mark Wollenweber, who plans to retire June 30, will continue working for the city for 90 days as a consultant at a rate of $9,000 a month."  That's when I felt like something had just hit me, and I screamed WHAT?  So I reread, and then read on.  "The City Council recently approved an agreement that calls for Wollenweber to work 10-20 hours a week (yes you read that right), as a consultant to help with projects and the transitions to a new administrator."  So this now retired City Administrator, will work 40 to 80 hours a month, for three months and make $27,000 dollars!  I don't quite know what to say, I didn't then either so I turned the page of the paper and read; "Troy readies for cuts to staff, library."  And I thought, "It is good to live in Grosse Point Woods because they obviously have money to burn, not so good to live in Troy because they don't."  You see in Troy, voters turned down a five-year 1.9-mill increase last February, so now lots of good things are on the chopping block in order to balance the budget.  Soon to be gone are the library, museum and nature center, not so important some might say, but yes, they are!  Maybe after Mark Wollenweber collects his $27,000 dollars for hardly working, he will drive right over to Troy and make a donation that might enable the city to keep open three really great places for children and families to go, the library, the museum and the nature center.  Wouldn't that be something?
Rosemary

No comments:

Post a Comment