Friday, June 18, 2010

How do babies know what love is?

I wasn't thinking of the event I am about to write about as a blog topic, but suddenly I said to myself, this is stuff the world should know.  My daughter-in-law sent me a text about something that my two and a half  year old granddaughter had asked her and her reaction to the response she got.  I couldn't believe it so I called her and got the story.  Sitting at the table eating, the best time to have a conversation by the way, my granddaughter asks of her mommy, "Where's your mommy?"  You see my granddaughter spends a great deal of time with me and her grandpa, but I am her only grandma.  My daughter-in-law, who probably never expected this question so early in her little girl's life stated simply that her mommy had died a long time ago.  Then my daughter-in-law's little daughter put her hand to her own little heart and said, "She's here."  Can you believe that?  How can a two and a half year old know that love is that powerful?  Love is so powerful that my daughter-in-law's mother is in her own daughter's heart, and she will come to know her.  Wow, I get chills just thinking about that!  It does say to me that you are never really gone, not if you have loved or have been loved.  Just thought I would share this beautiful moment in my daughter-in-law's and granddaughter's life.

Rosemary

3 comments:

  1. Susan and I loved this one. How sweet! Give Mackenzie and Breden a hug for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I processed this more with Joe after the kids went to bed, I realized that McKenzie has met my mom! How Awesome! I wish I knew how this happened or what she saw, but it doesn't really matter, does it? One thing that always strikes me hard when I think about it is that my beautiful children won't know how wonderful there Grandma Theresa was... Now I know that they do, and she will always be a part of them. Thanks mom for letting me know that you're there for me and the little guys:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really impressed by how honest Heather was with McKenzie. Maybe, that allowed McKenzie to be honest with Heather about where her other grandma is. What a nice moment. Really beautiful...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete