Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Where to begin?

So many thoughts rolling around in my head, I don't know where to begin.  This may be a bit of a rambling journey but come on along. 

Beginning today and through Friday quite a varied group of people will be coming to Detroit.  Flocking to the city will be "a hootenanny of pinkos, environuts, peaceniks, Luddites, old hippies, Robin Hoods and urban hunters and gatherers.  In other words, a microcosm of the Obama administration."  This description is courtesy of Nolan Finley of the Detroit News.  Rochelle Riley of the Detroit Free Press asks us not to dismiss "the grassroots activists, idealists, revolutionaries and community organizers" who will descend on us.  Wow, I don't know if I should run for cover or join in on the fun!  If I believe Nolan, this forum "ain't no tea party."  Rochelle tells me "even Tea Party members inquired about space."   Nolan doesn't like this throng of people or the mission he believes them to be on which is "To tear down Wall Street and use the bricks to pave Main Street." Rochelle welcomes them and their desire "To explore, among other things, improving public education and strengthening the working class."  Just goes to show ya there are two sides to every story, who ya gonna believe?

Next rambling thought:  Otis Mathis, (this one's at your request Moon).  According to Reverend David Murray, a DPS board member, at the tender age of 55 Otis just might not have known that fondling himself during his meeting with Detroit Public School Superintendent Teresa Gueyser, might have been offensive to her.  I don't know who the bigger idiot is Otis or the reverend!  Otis is gone from the board, Reverend David Murray should be too don't ya think?  Oh, and Otis blames his lewdness on medical issues and says he needs to pursue treatment.  What?  I would suggest a lobotomy except he talks like he has already had one.

Moving on:  I had a discussion over the weekend about some past news, so I just want to clarify.  Senate Majority Leader, Mike Bishop, and the newly formed Senate Reforms and Restructuring Committee are behind Senate Joint Resolution U which calls for cutting the pay of ALL public employees in the state by 5% and mandating a three-year wage freeze.  I have e-mailed Mr. Bishop in order to find out if indeed the current members of the state legislature will have their pay cut should this become a reality.  Reading the proposal is confusing and it isn't clear how our elected officials will be affected, even though they are public employees.  As to the measure that was already passed that will increase my contribution to the retiree health care fund by 3%, yes, it is the same fund that I already pay 3.6% into, not a separate fund.  And whereas before, I was guaranteed to have the money in this fund work for me upon my retirement, now I am not.  I would like to be wrong, I hope I am wrong, but I have read nothing that indicates that the additional 3% is going into a different coffer.  Now, those who have argued against my rant at what I see as being extremely unfair and simply wrong, have all used the "why should teachers be different?" theory.  I have been reminded that so many others have had their wages cut or have lost jobs, "unfairly."  I have been chastised for my "selfishness" because so many others have it so much worse.  Just in today's letters in the Free Press, Joe from Nashville, wants to know why teachers feel they are above the financial mess the state is in and why we can't learn to live within the framework of the money that's there.  Hmmm, I would think that those who have seen their pay cut, or have lost jobs, would be thrilled that finally a large group of people with some political clout are saying ENOUGH!  Why do those who have suffered financially want others to suffer as well?  Does it somehow justify what happened to them and make them feel better?  Why does balancing the budget have to directly affect the working class people, while the wealthiest people continue to prosper?  I'm just very confused by the reaction I have been getting, I really don't get it.

Okay, that's all folks, at least for now!

Rosemary

2 comments: