Saturday, April 2, 2011

97.1 Friday morning, it made my blood boil

I don't usually listen to 97.1 in the morning, but on Friday while driving to work, that is what I had on.  The discussion was centered around the 10% pay cut forced on teachers in West Bloomfield by their school board.  By the time I got to school, I was so mad I could have spit as my dear mother would say, and my blood was boiling.  I was just glad that I was not able to pick up the phone, or send an email with my comment, because it would have been a rant of epic proportion.  Now that I have calmed down, I need to clarify a couple of things for the morning crew of 97.1.  While the hosts seemed to truly be in support of teachers, the one kept asking in regards to why the teachers' pay should not be cut, "but where are they going to get the money?"  They of course being the schools.  How about from the school aid fund?  It is not broke, but the Governor plans to take about 900 million, from K-12 and give it to community colleges and 15 public universities, that's why he says Michigan needs to cut 470.00 per pupil from the budget. No Gov, you don't.  The money in the fund belongs to the K-12 educational system, and the Governor can not just use it as he pleases.  It is also my understanding that in the past this fund has been borrowed from and it has not been paid back, so Gov. Snyder is not the first to steal from Michigan's children.  This brings me to another misconception the morning crew at 97.1 have.  If the students of Michigan suffer because of the lack of educational funding, it will not be the fault of the teachers.  IT WILL BE THE FAULT OF THE GOVERNOR AND HIS PEOPLE IN LANSING!  Again, the one host was getting upset that teachers would stop showing up for school events, on their own time, or basically stop doing "work" beyond the school day.  "This only hurts the kids."  He said this over and over again, and he couldn't understand how, good and dedicated teachers could do this.  Here is what teachers have heard for years, "You make an awful lot of money for only working 6 hours a day, 9 months a year."  Too many people believe this, and now with this assault on teachers, how can anyone expect that there won't be that desire to show the public what a six hour day would look like?  So if it looks like the students in Michigan are going to be hurt by all of the changes that will be taking place as school districts cut upwards of twenty million from their budgets, and the students will be hurt by this, don't get mad at the teachers, get mad at your legislature and then help us do something about it.  Call them, write them and tell them you don't like how Governor Snyder is reinventing Michigan, and tell THEM to stop hurting kids.
Rosemary

No comments:

Post a Comment