Thursday, April 21, 2011

This Land Is Your Land...

I am very worried about the future of education in our state and in our country.  I am very worried about my job as an educator and the compensation I receive for doing that job, but I also have other worries.  After reading an article in the NY Times about the push in states to deregulate the environment, I got so angry and knew I had to say something, but I just didn't know how to put my disbelief and disgust in words.  Last night I went to see Peter Yarrow in concert at the Ark, and now I know what needs to be said.

Governor Paul LePage in Maine, put away your 63-point plan to cut environmental regulations and open up three million acres of your North Woods to development because

This land is your land, this land is MY land
From California, to the New York Island
From the Redwood Forest, to the gulf stream waters
This land was made for you and ME.

Governor Rick Scott of Florida, take back your proposal to eliminate millions for land conservation and millions more cut from restoring the dwindling Everglades because

As I was walking this ribbon of highway
I saw above me an endless skyway
I saw below me a golden valley
This land was mad for you and ME

To the Republicans in North Carolina, take back your proposed budget that would cut operating funds to the state's Department of Environment and Natural Resources by 22 percent because

I've roamed and rambled and I've followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
And all around me a voice was sounding
This land was made for you and ME.

To the Republicans in Washington who have been fighting hard for rollbacks to the Environmental Protection Agency, clean air and water regulations renewable energy and other conservation programs, may I remind you,

This land is your land, this land is MY land
From California to the New York Island
From the Redwood Forest, to the gulf stream waters
This land was made for you and ME.

What is the reason for slashing the funds that protect our land?  Well, according to Governor LePage it is the working families and small businesses in Maine who are endangered and need to be defended  with the same vigor as the tree frogs and Canadian Lynx!  You see, all of these regulations are just too burdensome to business interests and are apparently keeping people from being able to find work.  Did you know that Republicans made it clear last November that reducing all government was important, but cutting environmental regulations was a priority?  Why?  (For some of us a rhetorical question).

To New Jersey's Governor Chris Christie, please rethink your statement that the Highlands Water Protection and Planning Act, which preserves more than 800,000 acres of open land that supplies drinking water to more than half of your state's residents is an infringement on property rights.  Your desire to shift power from planning boards to administrative judges who will favor the interests of developers is just not right because

The sun comes shining as I was strolling
the wheat fields waving and the dust clouds rolling
the fog was lifting a voice was chanting
this land was made for your and ME.

In Florida, Governor Scott has asked to cut staff members to 40 from 358 at the Department of Community Affairs, which regulates land use and was created to be a control on unchecked urban sprawl.  These cuts according to one of the Gov's spokesman, will enable businesses to grow again in Florida.  Now get this statement he made; "the governor does care about the environment, but feels it is more important to get people back to work."  By cutting 318 people from the Dept. of Community Affairs?  What? 

If you don't get what is happening think about the last verse of Woody Guthrie's song

In the squares of the city - In the shadow of the steeple
Near the relief office - I see my people
And some are grumblin' and some are wonderin'
If this land's still made for you and me.

Rosemary

No comments:

Post a Comment