Monday, October 11, 2010

IMAGINE

"...and no religion to."  I never missed these words in the song, but I never quite understood what John Lennon meant.  I do now.  Money is not the root of all evil, religion is.  I am not talking about faith, believing and loving your God, I am talking about using your religion to condone your hate.  You are wrong if you cause others to break or to harm themselves.  You are wrong if you think you are superior to another human being or that God or Jesus loves you more than another of his creatures.  You are wrong if you tell your children that others are not as worthy as they are.  You are wrong if in the name of God you tell another they cannot be who they are.  You are wrong if you think that you belong to the one true faith and that believers of other doctrines are condemned to never see the face of God.  Religion is the reason for most wars, and God is peaceful, so how does that make any sense?  Religion is the reason for acts of torture and murder,  and God is accepting and forgiving, so how does that make any sense?  So many  people today walk around and talk about knowing Jesus and being a Christian, and then they deliver their message, "If you are not just like me, you are not acceptable in God's eyes and I can hurt you."  I don't get it.  Oh and for anyone who doesn't know what precipitated this blog; there is nothing wrong with being Gay, but there is something very wrong with those who think they can cause a person who is gay any pain.  So may I suggest that you get closer to your God and to Jesus, pray for the forgiveness that he will give you if you change your intolerant, hateful, and very non-Christian ways.
Rosemary

8 comments:

  1. correct me if i'm wrong, but i was under the impression that you were a catholic. as a someone who is a catholic, a faith based solely on the birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, the idea that you made the statement "You are wrong if you think that you belong to the one true faith and that believers of other doctrines are condemned to never see the face of God" is very confusing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was raised Catholic. I am a Catholic. In my entire upbringing, no one ever told me I belonged to the only sect that would go to Heaven. During my formative years, I was never given the idea that my religion was better than another religion. The difference between me and those who practice the Jewish faith is that I believe Jesus is the Son of God, and the Jews see him as a prophet and are still awaiting the Son of God. I don't agree with the thinking, but I don't condemn them to eternal damnation, nor does God. I use this as an example because for me, growing up, Catholics and Jews were the farthest apart. Religions such as Lutheran or Baptist, or Methodist, had slight differences. For instance the Lutherans do not honor Mary, whereas, Catholics do. I don't even know the difference with Methodists, but Baptist don't drink or dance but Catholics, hell yes! so my point was, and is, my faith is based on more than the birth, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, it is based on his living, it is based one his life. I find his life to be far more prolific than his death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me be clear when I say that hate is never ok. There are people who will never see the face of God because of their own refusal. It's not a matter of being a "good" person.
    I think He made himself pretty clear when He said this:

    John 14:6 NIV
    Jesus answered, "I am THE way and THE truth and THE life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

    Matthew 7:13 NIV
    "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents were big on the rosary, we said that a lot, not so big on the bible. I am glad about that. I would hear the readings at church, listen to the sermon, then make up my own mind. I do remember a little reading where Jesus said something about being like little children; I think he meant loving, accepting and forgiving. Anyway, I think you missed the real point of my blog, that it is okay to be Gay. What's your opinion about that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. be gay if you want. it's not my place to judge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monday was National Coming Out Day! So, I say with all sincerity and support, "COME OUT. COME OUT, WHEREVER YOU ARE!" And, it seems like Jesus was a cool guy. It's too bad his message got so mangled. (Oh, and I really don't know how loving God is supposed to be...the Old Testament displays some brutal activity.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kath, you're right that the Old Testament has some pretty gruesome stories, guess God was pissed off a lot back then. I think he is probably a little pissed off now too because too many people are playing Him! And Melanie, I am not gay, however, if I was I would want to be able to be without fear, without hiding, without feeling shame. I would want a life, not a "lifestyle" and I would want others to accept me and simply stay out of my love life. And you're right, it isn't your place to judge.

    ReplyDelete