Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Revisiting the Detroit blog

 I feel the need to revisit my Detroit blog because rereading it, I don't like the way it sounds.  I am not apologizing for the message because I still believe what I wrote has merit, but I didn't deliver it very eloquently.  I did say that Detroit is a city filled with uneducated, drug dependent, unsupervised adolescents. Perhaps I should have said that Detroit is filled with young people with potential, but because the leaders are so ineffective they are left without the proper tools to become knowledgeable.  The parents of many of the children in the city are themselves addicted to drugs, so where is the hope for the children of Detroit?  They are left to fend for themselves, and drugs are easy to find and make you feel good for a time.  Unfortunately they are also expensive, so now the addicted children need to find a way to pay for the drugs so they turn to a life of crime.  I also said that the people of Detroit are killing each other daily.  Perhaps I should have said that there is real fear among many people who live in the city because guns are so easy to come by and there is little protection for the innocent citizens trying to just get by and stay alive.  I said the school system was the reason the entire state of Michigan has to answer to the Legislature for poor performance.  Perhaps I should have said that the Detroit Public School System has needed an overhaul for a long time and a lot of money has been spent trying to do just that but the school board simply doesn't care about the children of Detroit, nor does the City Counsel.




I know that's old, but what's changed?

I said that there are no jobs in Detroit because there are too many people who don't want to work as their welfare checks pay for the things they need.  Perhaps I should have said there are not jobs in Detroit because the city has yet to embrace a climate of professionalism, intelligence and  a basic feeling of being safe and feeling welcomed.





I am not quite sure what this even means, but I don't see how it presents a good image of the city of Detroit.  If I was a visitor from a foreign land wanting to check out Detroit and saw this video,  I would run like hell in the opposite direction.

The blog I am re-blogging on came about because I read an article that quoted Mayor Bing as saying he wanted to be part of the renaissance of the city of Detroit, and that statement simply made me mad.  A renaissance is a rebirth, a revival, according to the good old dictionary.  It is the revival of classical art, literature, and learning.  Too many leaders for too long have been talking about being part of the renaissance of Detroit.  Why?  Because it sounds good, but what exactly do they mean by it?  For me, there is only one group of people that need to be targeted to make Detroit the city that will rise from the ashes, THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE THERE!  Help them and you help Detroit.

And I do need to respond to my own mention of the Jalen Rose Academy that was mentioned in a response to a response to my blog.  If Detroit wants to entice its young people to set their sights high, why, why, why name a charter school after a basketball player who along with his fellow "fab five" teammates "became pioneers in bringing "hip hop flavor" to the game with their trash talk, long baggy shorts, shaved heads, black shoes, and black socks?"  I mean come on, aren't there black teachers, lawyers, doctors, journalists, authors, entrepreneurs, military officers, carpenters, electricians, financial advisers, presidents or other educated professionals who are deserving of being named as a person to aspire to?  And if there aren't then maybe it's because for too long the children of Detroit thought the only thing they could become was a basketball player.

So my point was and is, if we don't start talking about the big 'ol elephant in the room, nothing is going to change in the city of Detroit.

Rosemary

6 comments:

  1. i still don't agree with you regarding your blog. the whole point of my long response on your last blog was that the idea that the government can fix this is fantasy. in my opinion, that is the crux of the problem with the liberal line of thinking. instead of placing the blame and responsibility on the people, and imploring them to fix the problem, liberals want to look to the government for all the answers. if they had the answers, the city wouldn't be in this position.

    another part of my problem is that i take issue with white, upper middle class suburbanites criticizing things that they are too excluded from. you seem to be speaking in your blog for the people of detroit, yet from my experience the people who inhabit the fellows creek development couldn't be more removed from the city. if i'm wrong, then i can accept that, but i don't think i'm far off base when i say that you or your friends probably make less than 10 trips a year into the city. of those 10 trips i would venture to say that 90% of them are to see the red wings play at joe louis arena, where the drive is made, the car is parked, the game is watched and then you go home. if i'm wrong, i can accept that, but i doubt that i am.

    i guess what i'm getting at is it is the responsibility of the people of detroit, and all who want to bash the things going on there (that would be you) to change it. that was where my examples of all of the things i do in the city of cleveland came in. i was trying to illustrate that in order to help the city, you need to spend money in the city. in my experience, the quickest way for economic stimulation is to spend money in the area in which you are trying to stimulate. that is why i pointed out all of the places and things that i do. to me, that is worth exponentially more than complaining about it from 30 miles away. there are fantastic things to do in the city. my challenge to you is the next time you and john want to go out to eat, make the drive and support the city you claim to love. hell, i'll even make a suggestion, go to the roma cafe. that would mean far more to the city than anything you say on here, and your action would go a long way in proving your professed love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. moving on, at this point i'm trying to figure out what eminem has to do with the problems that detroit is having. in fact, i would challenge you that he is actually doing things to help the city. a quick google search yielded these results:

    Eight Mile Boulevard Association: Revitalizing and promoting the Eight Mile transportation, business and residential corridor (between I-94 and I-275) in Michigan by linking the efforts of the public and private sectors.

    Marshall Mathers Foundation -Eminem's charity helps disadvantaged youth in his home state of Michigan. It has made donations to food banks and youth groups and participates in fundraisers with organizations such as Eight Mile Boulevard Association.

    what's funny is that the artist that your husband loves more than all other was at one point in his career not allowed to be broadcast below his mid chest for fear that his gyrating hips would cause an uproar. and the beatles, don't get me started on the frenzy the caused with their hair. they also promoted drugs and rebellion among the youth. my point is, just because someone doesn't look a certain way doesn't mean they don't do good work.

    which brings me to jalen rose. i think you are way off base on him. so what if he wore baggy shorts, and wore black sneakers. is that really such a bad thing. michael jordan was basically kicked out of basketball and forced to go play baseball as a penalty because of severe gambling issues. tell me one thing that jalen rose did to deserve the ire you are throwing his way. before you throw stones and cast someone about something they did 18 years ago, you should know a little about their present affairs. jalen rose is widely seen as one of the most philanthropic nba players, whether that are current or former. you should check this out http://jalenrose.com/ and educate yourself a little before you start bashing people.

    finally, to bring this full circle, i will leave you with a quote. this is a direct quote from the mayor of cleveland. these are the types of people you and other liberals want to place the future of your cities in. i say, place the future in your own hands, it's safer and more effective

    "the problem is that we have a problem. it's not that we don't know we have a problem, we've know it for years. it's not that we don't know what the solutions are, we've known those for years. the problem is that we haven't done anything about it" Mayor Frank Jackson, Cleveland, Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosemary you are still seeing the problems and fixes of Detroit and its people through your value system. How things should be in Rosemary's world. It is not that simple. As much as I don't like kids wearing pants halfway down their ass or hats on sideways etc. it is their way of protesting. The Jalen Rose issue, do you think that the kids would attend as willingly if the name was George Washington Carver? What does it matter the name (albeit maybe a convicted murderer) as long as their is some progress in the educational development of its students. Melanie is right about Eminem. You may not like Rap, I don't but I think it is important to see beyond the curtains so to speak and get to the real issues. Again, there are no jobs in Detroit or anywhere in the metropolitan area that can sustain a family. Not because people don't want to work. The powers that be in this country and around the world do not want an educated,healthy,well fed middle class because we question things and we protest, we make them anxious about their well being. Albert Einstein once said "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth". Our white society could very well be the next inner city if we don't act. Remember the phrase from Nazi Germany about the priest who said I did nothing because I was not a Jew,when they came for the shopkeepers I did nothing because I was not a shopkeeper etc. etc. When they came for me there was no one left. That is a paraphrase obviously. And you are correct about Detroit not being a safe place to be. Melanie is wrong about not expecting our govt. to solve the problems. We are the govt. and the govt. is supposed to do what we want it to do. I'm sick and tired of all the people who receive govt. assistance in any and all forms. I.E. Police, fire, water and sewage, trash pick-up, unemployment benefits, social security, I think you get what I mean. To be complaining about too much government interference in their lives. Whew!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Well this was the whole purpose for me starting a blog; to be able to put in writing things I question and have opinions about and get feedback. I have reread my blog and I can't find the statement that would lead you to believe that I think the government should fix the problems that Detroit is suffering from. I am in full agreement that it is the people themselves who need to say, "enough is enough!" That being said, funds for police protection, garbage pick-up, education, drug rehab, homeless shelters, insurance for children, transportation, legal defense, etc., all come, I think from the government. Let me know if I am wrong. Moving on; Where I go, what I do, where I spend my money, you have no idea about, so do not in any way chastise me for what I am or am not doing for the city of Detroit, monetarily. Moving on; as far as Eminem is concerned, he may be a wonderful person, but his music speaks of anger, and in my opinion, does not foster educational success (I could be wrong). As far as the name for an academy being chosen by whether or not the students would want to go there, that's my point! Why think it has to be a basketball player? I know I have not addressed all of your arguments, but both of your responses are long and thoughtful. Here is my bottom line; I see kids every day walking around trying to hold up their pants and wonder, "Where are you going?" Because if they want a job, I bet they can't dress like that. I register kids almost everyday, who have severe deficits in their basic reading and math skills and do you know where they are coming from? Detroit. Let me end by saying this forum is to encourage "civil discourse" if you have hidden anger find another outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosemary, after reading your last comments I must admit that I was also looking at the problem through my own value system. A part of which is not in the reality of yours. If I were working hard at trying to educate children who constantly disregarded my authority by either the way they dress or talk. I would be pissed too but even more so they don't care. I know that this is a small percentage but it is always the ones who stand out that define the entire student body. If kids wish to wear their pants down below their ass, fine but not on my dime. If I were in charge of the public school system the children would wear a uniform of some type. One that distinguishes WE from I and ME. And when the parents come to the parent teacher conferences,if they come, would wear a t-shirt that says I am with stupid. You're correct it is time that we stopped letting the inmates run the asylum. A little 'drinky' or two can and will return you to sanity.

    The rest of what I believe still stands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know what is ironical (to steal a word from my favorite movie)? Some of the nicest kids I interact with during the day, are the ones wearing their pants on the ground, walking with that swagger that is necessary in order to keep them up, and not caring too much about when they get to class. I know these are not bad kids, and I know they can do so much more than what they think they can do, and that's why I wrote what I wrote. Continually finding fault with anyone's argument that the city of Detroit is in dire need of an attitude adjustment, and trying to make people who voice that opinion out to be a mean spirited and uncaring individuals is not in the best interest of the city. I did not bash Eminem or Jalen Rose, I simply said the image they cast on Detroit is not the image that is most conducive to producing successful citizens. Now I am done with this subject and I am moving on to something else.

    ReplyDelete