Thursday, November 18, 2010

Mike Bishop's after us again

 Wrote this to Sen. Bishop and tried to email it to him but got the message that that page could not be found when I hit submit, old email probably.  Need him to read this though and you too.  The article that precipitated this was in the Detroit News so I will be writing them too. 

Hi Mike,
I have been in my school district long enough to be at the top of the pay scale for someone with a Master's Degree.  I earn every penny I am paid.  My day begins at 6:30 and ends, on most days, around 4:00.  The actual school day is 7:13 until 2:10.  I get to school early so that students who need to see me for help can, I stay late because there is not enough time in the school day to get all of my work done, and I am very efficient.  I have students who come for help at lunch, so I don't take my contractual forty minute non-working lunchtime.  I deal with angry parents, needy parents, and worried parents, who want to blame teachers for their child's inability to master all of the standards the state has declared necessary for all Michigan students to learn, even those with learning deficits.  I have a fantastic work ethic, I am highly educated and I am worthy of respect.  I have numerous expenses related to my profession; continuing education credits, fees to renew my certificate every five years, supplies for students who don't have what they need, lunch money for students who come to school with no lunch and no money, professional publications, conferences I choose to attend because they keep me updated on educational strategies, and on and on.  Out of my pay, on top of the taxes we all pay, also comes union dues, and a new 3% tax to help pay health care benefits for someone else who will retire before me.  I am giving money away!  As for the nine month year and all holidays off, my husband worked for Ford Motor, he had all holidays off and five weeks of vacation, plus sick time and personal time off.  He made more than me too, and he was not an executive.  Oh and when he was "off" he was off, unlike teachers who normally have loads of work to do during summer break and all holiday breaks.  You have it pretty nice by the way, I won't insult you by telling you what you make, what your health benefits are, and will be, and what your work year is, but it's a pretty nice job for that kind of pay.
Sincerely,
Rosemary Schimmel

4 comments: