Monday, November 22, 2010

Nolan Finley responded to me.

Truly, I got this response within minutes of sending my letter to Mr. Finley.  He didn't even have enough time to think about it.  Wow, you read that so fast, and responded so quickly, I can tell a good columnist from a bad one. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Nolan Finley" To: "rose42benn@comcast.net" Sent: Monday, November 22, 2010 8:04:08 PM Subject: Re: Pay grades Oh come on. Tell me you can't tell a good teacher from a poor one. From: rose42benn@comcast.net [mailto:rose42benn@comcast.net] Sent: Monday, November 22, 2010 08:02 PM To: Finley, Nolan Subject: Pay grades Hi Nolan, I address you this way because I want to be your friend, I mean why be adversarial? I also want to talk to you about merit pay for teachers. "There's nothing wrong with a teacher making more than $100,000 a year, as long as that paycheck is going to a top-notch instructor. How does one define a "top-notch instructor"? That really is the problem isn't it? You can't. Teaching is like no other profession. It changes every day. A teacher's job today, will have other demands tomorrow. Why? Well, because teachers deal with human beings. Teachers do not produce a product. Teachers do not sell a product. Teachers do not care about a product, they care about kids. The state legislators would like us to produce a product, a being that can pass state tests, and then who cares? Well, teachers do. The "Our Editorial" in Sunday's paper, says that "adopting a merit pay system for teachers would allow the very best to earn the pay they deserve. And it would encourage all teachers to strive to be the best." Here is what I see everyday, stressed out, burdened children. I guess I am not a very good instructor, deserving of merit pay, because I just want them to get through the day. I see very capable children, not able to cope because mom is sick. I'm not a very good instructor because I hug them, let them cry, and then say, let's get to work. I see children who can't access the curriculum demanded of them because, well, they just aren't very smart. Why? Well, because they just aren't very smart I try to make them smart but they can't keep up, so I hug them, let them cry, and then say , let's get to work. So if merit pay goes through, well, I'm screwed! The editorial stated that a better way to find cost savings is in teacher benefits. What I can't figure out is why teachers keep getting compared to the private sector. Teachers have at least four to five years of college under their belt, they have that degree that the state thinks all human beings should have. Then most teachers continue to strive for perfection and get a master's degree. Why is a Master's in Business Administration, worth more than a Master's in Education? So why can't teachers benefit? Perhaps you think I am rambling, so let me tie it all together; I have worked long and hard for many years, my students have succeeded, and now you think I should just sit back and watch what I thought I had earned, be taken away. Well, I am not going to do that. 
Rosemary

1 comment:

  1. I can see the steam from your ears all the way here. Oh wait that's the fog. Anyway Rosemary Nolan Finley is an idiot republican that believes no one but he deserves it all. He is against unions because unions scare him and take from him what he thinks he deserves because he is better than the rest of us. You're yelling to a brick wall don't waste your time with him.

    ReplyDelete