Monday, January 3, 2011

This is a really "I Don't Get It."

I know I was going to go in a new direction, but this is something I need expert clarification on.  I have a 25 year old son who attends school and works.  His health care has up until now been on my policy.  I was expecting that he would continue to be on my policy until turning 26 with the new health care deal.  When I called my benefits person today I was informed that since our enrollment period begins with the new school year, and not January 1st, he falls off now and can't get back on!  While I know how lucky we have been to have been provided with health care for our son, I really don't get how the new law states that a parent's insurance provider must provide insurance for a child until he or she turns 26, but my employer is telling me that they don't have to.  I will be happy to receive responses, especially those that may help me to understand why my son can't be covered, or even better, how I make a case to get him covered!  Thanks to all who take the time to help me "get it."

Rosemary

No comments:

Post a Comment